Beef with Spinach and Lentil
- 500 g. boned lamb or beef cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tbsp. natural yogurt
- 1tsp. ginger paste
- 1 tsp. garlic paste
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 1 level tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 level tsp. garam masala
- 1 level tsp. chilli powder
- 1 1\2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 1\2 level tsp. salt
- 300 g. fresh or frozen spinach
- 200 g. masoor dal (split Egyptian lentils).
- 1 medium onion, skinned and finely sliced
- 1\2 inch piece ginger, peel and cut into small sticks
- 3\4 cup oil
1. Add yogurt to the meat and mix well. Add garlic and ginger paste to the meat. Add all the whole and ground spices including
salt. Stir well to coat the meat and mix all the spices. Cover and leave to marinate for about 4 hours.
2. While the meat is marinating, thaw the frozen spinach if used, or thoroughly wash and finely chopped the spinach.
3. Put the marinated meat in a heavy based saucepan. Cook over low heat for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally,until
all the moisture has evaporated and the meat half cooked.
4. Wash the dal in a few changes of water, until the water runs clear.Then leave it to soak for about 25-30 minutes.
5. Add oil to the meat, stir fry for few minutes or until the oil start to separate.
Add the spinach, and drained dal to the meat. Mix well, then pour in enough water to cover the dal by 1 inch. Cover with a
tight fitting lid, reduce the heat, and leave to cook for about 25 minutes or until the dal is tender. At this stage spinach
and lentil should be well blended and creamy, (thicker than soup).
5. In a small frying pan, heat the remaining oil,add the finely sliced onion and stick of ginger. Stirring constantly, fry
to a rich golden color. Transfer the spinach to a serving dish, Then pour the fried onion and ginger on the top and serve
6. Serve with Chapati.